My Farmville Today

My Farmville Today

Thursday, June 9, 2011

I have a watering problem

I have a watering problem or an obsession with my garden hose.  I literally can water for hours, changing the setting on the nozzle, going from one area in my garden to the next.  I have over 100 feet of hose and I can with the help of the super nozzle reach about any area of my yard which is quite large.  There is really no method or plan when I water, I can be on one side of the yard and then something lures me over to the other side (like an ouija board thing) , pulling the 100 foot hose, cursing it when it twists and the water flow drops to nothing.  I love the way I can make rainbows when i put the spray into the sun, and how I can create my own mister like Disney World has, which makes me tan like an indian and (with the help of self applied Olive Oil from my pantry).  I love the way the earth or mulch in my gardens turns dark brown and instantly looks so much more lush.  Or the way the plants glisten with the water pellets on them.  I can hose down my deck or my patio for hours.  I love the way the concrete takes on a darker grey or the deck magically looks like i just stained it.  Or how I can shoot down spider webs, or clean off mud off my garden paths, making everything look clean and fresh.  Wish I could do this inside and hose down my kitchen and bathrooms.

The only problem is my water bill.  Last season we had one bill for over $200.  Needless to say my husband Mike was not pleased.  Literally now, when I am watering, and he hears the hose running longer than 20 minutes he will pop his  head out the door and say "It's time to put the hose down".  When he does this, I feel like I am on the cooking show "Chopped".  When Ted Allen say's " Chefs...Times Up" and the contestants (Chefs)  have to drop whatever they are doing, usually plating their dish or applying the last garnish and stop. It leaves me feel unfullfilled or incomplete. Probably like the Chef who left one of the main ingredients off their plates, or failed to put the whipcream and cherry top on one of the judges plates, and realizes it right after Ted tells them "Times Up".

I have found though I can find little windows of opportunities to water.  Like when my husband is in the shower...I run out and water, wondering if he will  realize I am watering if the shower pressure goes down.  Or if he is in his office listening to his music... (he is music freak, with over 30,000 songs on his Imac, which he mixes, backs up on all our IMAC's, sorts, etc).  He can get caught up in this like I can when I water.  But the beauty of this is he wears head phones and dosen't hear when the water is running outside.  Sometimes I can steal an hour or two, to spend out in the gardens, blissfully watering.

I know it is a problem, so I am now researching Rain Barrels that I can hook up to my down spouts.  The only thing better than watering though is the sound of rain, or a heavy thunderstorm.  Its like free condiments (see in blog before this to understand this statement)

No comments:

Post a Comment